SFL First Division: DUNFERMLINE 1 AIRDRIE 0: 29/04/00

Jimmy Calderwood announced his team to the assembled audience in the Jock Stein Suite at 1 ‘o clock but strangely unknown to the manager Michel Doesburg had called off and Jamie Dolan started at 3.03pm with Chris Templeman a late addition to the bench.

Eddie May was out injured and neither Ian Ferguson or David Moss would feature because of their accumulated penalty points. Calderwood also stated that this would be keeper Kris Mampaey’s last match. The Belgian keeper was returning to the continent for “private reasons”.

All this meant the return of Hamish French and Jamie Dolan and a starting place for Owen Coyle.

Dunfermline started towards the 240 Airdrie supporters in the East Stand. The first chance of the match came after five minutes when Stevie Crawford turned on a Lee Bullen cross from the right but Crawford’s shot was saved by the Airdrie keeper. Next Thomson’s lofty pass found Bullen who let the ball fall before hitting it wide right.

Former Par Allan Moore was fielded in an unaccustomed left back role and when he missed a cross ball from the left he was relieved to see Lee Bullen’s effort go over the crossbar. Next Stevie Crawford teed one up for Coyle but his shot we t for a corner.

No. 11 Alex Neil was by far Airdrie’s best player and on 13 minutes he produced the visitors only shot on target. Fortunately Kris Mampaey was on hand to save. Airdrie were not out off the game at all and lloking most unlike themseves in their blue and black strips. Stuart Ingram sent a cross from the left flashing across the Pars goalmouth and Mampaey collected although a goal kick was awarded.

Justin Skinner was struggling with double vision and was substituted after 22 minutes. Two other chances fell to Dunfermline before half time with John Potter first setting up Jamie Dolan and then Bullen, Crawford and Coyle combining well to create a chance that the keeper stopped.

Petrie and Thomson produced a break down the left but Thomson’s cross found no one. The first half finished with a late tackle by Neil on Mampaey. Kenny Clark withheld a card debut and Airdrie went in at the interval 0-0.

At the very start of the second half a Petrie prod almost set up Coyle but the former Well man failed to make any connection on the chance.

Six minutes into the half Crawford played a 1-2 with Reid on the edge of the visitors box but the striker was closed down. Similarly on 58 minutes Dunfermline were clear but Bullen’s shot went wide right.

Three minutes later Forrest’s slip up let in Dolan but his effort was deflected over the crossbar. Brian Reid’s harmful header from a corner left hit the underside of the crossbar but no goal was given.

After 65 minutes Dolan linked with Crawford but his attempt went over the crossbar. Dsunfermline had upped the pace and one felt a goal was imminent.

David Graham came on for Owen Coyle who had shown for 74 minutes why he would not make it in the SPL next season.

A Lee Bullen cross from the left was driven over the crossbar by Jimmy Sandison before Chris Templeman had a shot saved and then Graham supplied crosses for French and Templeman..

Time was running out but Petrie was not for giving up. The Pars man got to the by line to cross from the left . David GRAHAM met the cross and turned the ball in the net to give the Pars the lead.

With five minutes remaining Graham sent over a cross but Petrie’s shot was saved. Not a pretty performance but three points just the same.

DUNFERMLINE: Mampaey, Thomson, Dair, Skinner (Reid 13), Potter, Dolan (Templeman 74), French, Bullen, Crawford, Coyle (Graham 66), Petrie.
Yellow cards: no Pars
Scorer: Graham (82)

AIRDRIE: Wilson, Easton, Forrest, Stewart, Greacan, Sandison, Moore, Ingram (Brady 70), Thompson (Struthers 90), Taylor, Neil.
Sub not used Coulter
Yellow Card: Thompson (76)

Referee K Clark (Paisley)
Attendance 4378
League Position 2nd
Strip: Black and White home
Weather: Overcast

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.