It was over four years since Inverness Caley Thistle visited East End Park and it is 12 years since the Pars last defeated the Highlanders in Fife. The visitors made one change from their Saturday starting eleven, Jake Mulraney being preferred to Ross Draper.

Dunfermline showed two changes from the side that kicked off at Central Park in the previous match: Lewis Spence and Rhys McCabe coming in for Nat Wedderburn and Gavin Reilly. The Pars kicked off through Michael Moffat and then Higginbotham and the first shot of the match came on three minutes. Ryan Williamson`s cross was beaten out to Higginbotham and when David Raven headed the ball out to the edge of the box Jason Talbot blasted wildly wide and high.

At the other end Scott Boden threatened picking up a loose ball 20 yards out but Lee Ashcroft recovered impressively. The home fans were enthused by a fierce shot from Joe Cardle and then a Geggan drive that Raven blocked.

From a Warren mistake Higginbothan and McCabe showed pace on the right with slick passing but the former travelled just too far and Caley got the goal kick.

Inverness were awarded a free kick on 12 minutes for a foul on Mulraney and Warren was the target when the ball came in but Talbot cut it out before it got to him. Cardle forced a corner on the left but Higginbotham`s inswinger was headed away by Liam Polwarth.

Having started so strongly Dunfermline then lost a silly goal. In 16th minute a Richards-Everton pass back put pressure on David Hutton and his clearance fell to Iain VIGURS 30 yards out but his shot to the far post was impossible for Hutton to stop from where he was. 0-1

Inverness then threatened to score more with King flashing the ball over the top and then when Boden was lining up for a header at the near post, Ashcroft conceded the corner. That created further danger with Warren`s diving header going wide left.

Geggan was shown yellow in 24 minutes when stopping Mulraney and thankfully Vigurs yellow boot sent the setpiece high over the bar.

Higginbotham free kick dropped to McCabe who was convinced that his effort was kept out by McNaughton`s hand. The equaliser was scored in 28 minutes after Spence picked out Higginbotham on the right and the Pars captain timed his cross well to power in the header. Andy`s fourth goal of the season, 1-1.

Spence had an effort from 25 yards blocked by Warren and then Williamson`s run to the right byeline was harshly stopped by Carl Tremarco. At the other end Spence caught Mulraney 20 yards out and rolled about immediately calling for the physio. He was able to continue. Tansey and Vigurs stood over the free kick but VIGURS sent the ball over the wall and in off the underside of the crossbar. 1-2

McCabe had one reply to try and recover the scoreline before the break but Inverness went in with the advantage.

Half time: Dunfermline 1 Inverness Caley Thistle 2

Moffat was presented with a great chance within a minute of the restart but in front of goal he was squeezed away from McCabe`s cross. Inverness sent two shots wide left before Williamson sped up the right, successfully got his cross in but there was no Pars men in the middle.

Then in 54 minutes Vigurs passed the ball out left where KING cut in and shot and the ball came up off Williamson and sailed into the Pars net. 1-3

Williamson was up again to deliver another inviting ball that again was defended first. Moffat broke in on the left but found the sidenetting with his shot. The Pars were awarded a free kick 20 yards out when Polworth tripped Cardle. Ross Draper replaced Mulraney before Cardle hit the setpiece low and off the wall to the right. Richards-Everton crashed the ball on target, Tremarco`s right arm kept the ball out and there were strong appeals for a penalty but all the Pars were shown were yellow cads, Cardle definitely and maybe Moffat and Higginbotham.

A fourth Inverness goal just before the midway stage of the second half put the match outreach of the Pars. King slid the ball to Tremarco on the left and his cross was perfect for VIGURS to rise and head home for his hattrick. 1-4

Williamson blocked a Tremarco shot and then a Tansey cross bounced just outside the right post. Polwarth sent a 30 yarder on to the other post.

The match seeped away in the heavy rain but 16 year old Callum Smith came on for his Pars debut replacing Michael Moffat for the final 12 minutes. Inverness were to be given a further chance from an 89th minute free kick conceded by Ashcroft. Tansey rattled the left goalpost and TREMARCO was following up to head the ball in for a fifth Caley goal.

There was no surprise as Iain Vigurs was presented the Betfred Man of the Match award.

DUNFERMLINE: David Hutton: Ryan Williamson, Lee Ashcroft, Ben Richards-Everton, Jason Talbot: Rhys McCabe, Lewis Spence, Andy Geggan (c), Joe Cardle (James Thomas 89): Michael Moffat (Callum Smith 78), Kallum Higginbotham (Paul McMullan 73).
SUBS NOT USED: Lewis Martin, Michael Paton, Cammy Gill (GK)
SCORERS: Geggan (28)
YELLOW CARD: Geggan (24), Cardle (61), Higginbotham (61)

INVERNESS CALEY THISTLE: Cammy Mackay, David Raven, Gary Warren (c), Kevin McNaughton, Carl Tremarco: Billy King, Liam Polwarth, Jake Mulraney (Ross Draper 59), Greg Tansey, Iain Vigurs (Ali Sutherland 85), Scott Boden (Alex Fisher 81).
SUBS NOT USED: Jason Brown, Lewis Horner, Owain Fon Williams (GK)
SCORERS: Vigurs (16, 42, 66), King (54), Tremarco (89)

REFEREE: Crawford Allan

NEXT MATCH: Betfred Cup: (away) v Dundee United
Sunday 31st July 2016, 3.00pm kick off at Tannadice

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.