Ramsden Cup: COWDENBEATH 1 DUNFERMLINE 3: Date 27/07/13

Dunfermline travelled to Central Park to play their higher league opponents in the Ramsden Cup First Round tie.┬ The Pars made two changes from the team that started in midweek - Ryan Wallace and Ryan Ferguson came in to replace the two trialists, Luke Johnston and Kevin Buchan. Stephen Husband was suspended for his red card against Alloa back in the play offs in May.

Cowdenbeath were without Jamie Stevenson also serving a suspension for his red card in the pre season friendly v East Fife. It was the home side who kicked the competitive season off attacking the goal in front of the travelling supporters at the Chapel Street end.

Dunfermline started the better, the ball was flashed across the Cowdenbeath goal and then Wallace fed Thomson to net but the offside flag was up.┬ In fifth minute Ross Millen sent a free kick into the six yard box narrowly evading the inrushing Morris and Thomson.

On six minutes Ryan Scully came out to punch the ball clear but came off the worse after running into Kerr Young. The two of them needed┬ fully two minutes┬ for treatment and recovery. Play resumed but then Nat Wedderburn, Cowden's close season signing from Corby town,┬ needed treatment too.

Wallace had the dubious honour of being shown a yellow card for a rash eleventh minute challenge. In 13 minutes Jordan Morton struck the left goalpost with an effort from just outside the box. Cowdenbeath then had a clear chance with Greg Stewart causing Scully to send the ball behind for a corner.┬ When┬ Morton sent that┬ over from the right Shaun Byrne's diving header at the near post only travelled as far as the┬ left side of the box and when the ball was┬ returned into the six yard box WEDDERBURN converted the easy chance. 1-0 after 15 minutes.

Midway through the first half a fine driving Byrne took the ball forward and then left to Josh┬ Falkingham who switched it back to Ferguson for a fierce shot from the edge of the box that was deflected behind for a corner.┬ At the other end Scully fisted away a corner from the right on the half hour and another ensued from the left. This time the tall Wedderburn headed downwards and the ball was poked narrowly wide right.

Adamson had an effort touched over the bar in 33 minutes but then there were two dramatic minutes at the other end. Wallace was chopped down on the right side of the penalty box and Millen stepped up. His effort to the goalkeeper's left was turned away for a corner but when the 18 year old sent over the corner Callum MORRIS rose to head in the Pars equaliser. 1-1

Wallace then came close as his attempt flashed just wide of the left upright. Scully did well to block an Adamson chance, a Whittle cross saw a Thomson header saved by Flynn and then Cowdenbeath skipper John Armstrong was forward to send a glancing header just over Scully's crossbar.

It was quite a cup tie and Millen's free kick in 44 minutes was deflected behind for a corner but this time Flynn punched clear.

Half Time: Cowdenbeath 1 Dunfermline 1

Wallace and Thomson got the second half underway and Byrne won a free kick on the left within two minutes. Millen flashed a low ball through the box and out at the far post despite strong appeals for a corner from Jim Jefferies' players.

Wedderburn then came very close┬ with an effort at the far post from a Morton corner from the right.┬ The home side pressed with a Lewis Milne free kick headed away by Young and then an Andrew Russell cross was met by Stewart but his header slipped over the bar.

There was a chance for Wallace in 55 minutes but he failed to get in a telling shot. Next Falkingham made a thrusting run forward and laid the ball off to Byrne to his right but his attempt went wide right. The Pars kept up the threat with Wallace setting up Whittle but Flynn made a fine job of saving the full back's strong left footed shot. Flynn then had to save a powerful Wallace shot and he had the post to thank for keeping out Chris Kane's glancing header in 61 minutes.

The Pars pressure paid off in 64 minutes when on loan FERGUSON beat the offside flag to home in on goal.┬ Flynn could not hold his block and the Dundee United player nipped in to sidefoot home from six yards. 2-1 to the Pars.

Morris made a timely intervention to sweep the ball away from the Blue Brazil's sub Kane Hemmings before Craig Dargo was introduced for goalscorer Ferguson in 71 minutes. It was the home side who were to come close from another corner but Wedderburn skied his shot wildly over.

After a run down the wing Whittle's cross was cut out but when the ball was returned Dargo shot the ball against the same post that had denied both teams earlier in the day. With eleven minutes to go Dargo then set up Ryan THOMSON to slide the ball past Flynn and in at the far post to make it 3-1.

It was to be made difficult for the home side to recover after Lewis Milne was shown a red card with five minutes remaining. The Cowdenbeath player retaliated, flicking his┬ foot┬ at Dargo after he felt that Morris should have been penalised for a challenge on Wedderburn.┬ Wedderburn would be subsequently stretchered off with a dislocated shoulder and so Cowden finished the game with just nine men.

The second half performance ensured a┬ satisfactory afternoon for Athletic but given the uncertainty over the creditors high noon meeting on Tuesday 30th July hopefully this was not the final Pars match.

COWDENBEATH:┬ Thomas Flynn; David Cowan (Dean Brett 70), John Armstrong (c), Thomas O'Brien, Kenny Adamson; Nat Wedderburn, Marc McKenzie (Kyle Miller 81), Lewis Milne, Andrew Russell; Greg Stewart (Kane Hemmings 62), Jordan Morton.
SUBS NOT USED: , Mark Ramsay, Callum Speedie (GK)
SCORER: Wedderburn (15)
YELLOW CARD: Cowan (32), Adamson (45+1)
RED CARD: Milne (85)

DUNFERMLINE: Ryan Scully; Ross Millen,┬ Kerr Young, Callum ┬ Morris, Alex ┬ Whittle; ┬ Ryan Ferguson (Craig Dargo 71), ┬ Shaun Byrne, Chris┬ Kane, Josh Falkingham (c); Ryan┬ Wallace (Fayssal El Bakhtaoui, 88), ┬ Ryan Thomson
SUBS NOT USED:┬ John Potter, Ryan┬ Williamson, Michal┬ Hrivnak (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Wallace (11), Whittle (49)
SCORERS: Morris (36), Ferguson (64), Thomson (79)

REFEREE: Bobby Madden
WEATHER: Overcast 24C

NEXT MATCH: (away) Scottish Communites Cup v East Stirlingshire
Saturday 3rd August, Ochilview, 3.00pm kick off

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.