SC League Cup: EAST STIRLING 0 DUNFERMLINE 2: Date 03/08/13


Dunfermline travelled¬ to Ochilview Park in Stenhousemuir on the first Saturday in August to take on East Stirlingshire in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

Jim Jefferies was still denied Stephen Husband through suspension but fielded an eleven that was unchanged from the previous Saturday. On the bench Michal Hrivnak and Craig Dargo were this week joined by Andy Geggan and the¬ on loan pair from Dundee United, Jordan Moore and Luke Johnston.

Shire Manager John Coughlin brought in Kevin Turner and Max Wright for the injured Paul Quinn and Jordan McKechnie who dropped to the bench.

The Pars kicked off in their new turquoise away kit playing into the wind and attacking the goal in front of a very respectable away support but Shire forced a corner after only 17 seconds. Two corners ensued but Scott Maxwell's second was cleared. Josh Falkingham was forced into heading another cross behind in second minute but the header from Maxwell's third corner of the game was too deep and headed wide.

Dunfermline's first attempt was a close one when Ryan Wallace snatched a shot at goal from the edge of the box in seven minutes. The ball slipped just outside Grant Hay's right hand post.

Ross Millen sent over a corner from the left that a Dunfermline head sent towards the top left corner but somehowe the ball was kept out instigating appeals that the ball had crossed the line. A goal did come very quickly thereafter however and it was for the visitors.

In tenth minute Falkingham was sent through into the right side of the East Stirling box and was brought to the ground by Ricky Miller. This time Ryan WALLACE assumed responsibility and stuck the spot kick away to the right with the keeper going the other way. 1-0

Dunfermline looked much more comfortable with the lead though the strong westerly wind was causing them difficulties. Captain Josh Falkingham was chopped down and although he returned to the pitch after treatment required to be subbed by Andy Geggan in 27 minutes.

Jim Jefferies had a lengthy "discussion" with¬ referee Mat Northcroft after a questionable decision went against the Pars.¬ Then¬ a Millen free kick from the centre circle was nodded on by Ryan Thomson in the box but Hay recovered the ball to prevent the Pars second. A deflection off Chris Kane caused Ryan Scully some problems as it dropped down from height and he was forced to touch the ball behind for a Shire corner.

In 38 minutes Pars keeper, Scully was penalised for grabbing the ball outside the right perimeter of his box but the Pars survived the free kick. The hosts pressed for a goal before the break but their attempts were restricted to long range efforts.

Half Time: East Stirlingshire 0 Dunfermline 1

The second half started with East Stirlingshire putting the Pars under pressure from a free kick from the right and then a corner from the left.¬ Michael Bolochweckyj met the corner with a forceful header but fortunately he directed his effort over the crossbar.

An Alex¬ Whittle free kick from the right 25 yards out was turned behind for a corner that Millen delivered low to the near post but¬ that was easily cleared. Callum Morris was shown yellow for a rash tackle in the opposition half and then¬ Ryan Wallace tried a hasty left footed volley that was too high to trouble Hay.

In 59 minutes Grant Hay picked up the ball outside the left side of the Shire box but when Wallace chipped the free kick into the box it was dealt with by the home defence.¬ The League Two club were then reduced to ten men when Kevin Turner took out Young.¬ The striker was chasing the ball into the Pars box and after Scully came out to hold, Turner followed through to flatten big Kerr. His second yellow card of the game meant that he headed for an early bath.

Byrne was thwarted as he tried to drive through the centre of the Shire defence and Thomson blasted a chance behind. The ten men Shire side did not relent however and¬ Morris had to power away a dangerous free kick pumped into the Pars box.¬ Craig Dargo replaced Ryan Ferguson as the match approached its last quarter of an hour.

In 83 minutes Byrne fed Geggan on the right side of the box but he drove the chance wildly left and high. Morris again had to head away the danger as the ten men tried hard to find an equaliser. Play switched to the other end and a Millen corner was delayed to bring on Jordan Moore for Ryan Wallace.¬ The corner did not provide the second Pars goal but it did come in 87 minutes when Craig DARGO¬ drilled the ball into the bottom right corner of the Shire net. 2-0 to DA.

EAST STIRLINGSHIRE: Grant Hay: Graeme MacGregor, Michael McGowan, Ricky Miller, Michael Bolochweckyj, Iain Thomson, Ross O'Donoghue, David Greenhill, Kevin Turner, Max Wright (Jordan McKechnie 74),¬ Scott Maxwell (Conor Kelly 83).
SUBS NOT USED: David McCaughie, Chris Townsley, Craig Gordon (GK).
YELLOW CARD: Miller (10), Turner (10), Thomson (45+2)
RED CARD: Turner (61)

DUNFERMLINE: Ryan Scully; Ross Millen, Kerr Young, Callum Morris, Alex Whittle; Ryan Ferguson (Craig Dargo 74), Shaun Byrne, Chris Kane, Josh Falkingham (c)(Andy Geggan 27); Ryan Wallace (Jordan Moore 86), Ryan Thomson.
SUBS NOT USED:¬ Luke Johnston, Michal Hrivnak (GK)
SCORERS: Wallace (10 pen.), Dargo (87)
YELLOW CARD: Young (10), Morris (52), Wallace (56)

REFEREE: Mat Northcroft
WEATHER: Sunny intervals and windy18C

NEXT MATCH: (away) SPFL v East Fife
Saturday 10th August 2013, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.