Pre Season Friendly v Brechin City


Attendance: 342, Kick Off: 7.45pm.

Referee: Frank McDermott

Jim McIntyre took his squad north up the A90 to Brechin for the second in their six match pre season friendlies schedule. The mystery trialist from Saturday was given another start in what was the same starting eleven as faced Livingston with the exception of Paul Willis in place of David Graham.

The hosts kicked off but the game was brought to a halt after just 30 seconds when Kevin Rutkiewicz fell awkwardly on his wrist. After a minute`s treatment the match restarted but without the central defender for a further two minutes. Paul Gallacher held a deflected shot at his left hand post before his central defender returned with his right wrist strapped up.

The Pars forced the first corner in six minutes but when Joe Cardle`s delivery dropped to Andy Barrowman beyond the far post his overhead attempt went wide. Next a Cardle break tried a straight pass for Andy Kirk but defender Paul McLean made a good cut out.

In 18 minutes a free kick 28 yards out gave Martin Hardie an attempt on goal but Craig Nelson moved to his left to hold comfortably at his goal post. Play switched quickly to the other end and squeezing between the trialist and Rutkiewicz David McKenna poked a shot that was held by Gallacher.

Brechin`s first corner in 21 minutes was sent in from the right by Garry Brady and Scott Buist met it well but his downward header was directed wide left. A Willis pass to Kirk on the right side of the Brechin box won a corner on the right and another from the left followed after Buist headed behind. Willis took the next but failed to create any danger.

Joe Cardle split the defence with a 27th minute pass and with home appeals for offside, Andy KIRK ran on to the pass and coolly slotted past the advancing Nelson. Minutes later Cardle worked himself into a shooting position but unluckily drove the ball on to Gary Mason`s back.

Six minutes from the break Willis was blocked on the edge of the box by Dunlop and from the resultant Cardle free kick Nelson dropped the cross but Kirk lacked sharpness to execute the killer touch even though from just ten yards out. Willis tried a shot on the run in 44 minutes but was wide left.  On the half time whistle Cardle made Nelson pull off a good save and Kirk was denied in the follow up.

A good work out for Dunfermline in the first 45 but the home fans were pleased with their team as they went in just one down; it could have been more. City had stroked the ball about well as they tried to play a passing game.

Half Time: Brechin City 0 Dunfermline 1

Liam Buchanan came on for Andy Barrowman for the second half and within 30 seconds he had hit the post. The ball rebounded off the right upright out beyond the left post where Cardle followed up but was forced into shooting wide. Andy Dowie replaced the trialist after just five minutes and Buchanan accepted a Kirk pass to produce another good looking attempt on goal but this time he was inches wide left.

Dunfermline were getting forward with more assurance but Brechin held their line to catch the Pars offside more than once. Some of the decisions were not popular with the manager. Play was predominantly in the Brechin half however and Jim Weir introduced Charlie King for Paul McManus as the match slipped into its final quarter. The sub who broke his leg in pre season a year ago missed the entire 2010-11 season.

On 78 minutes Willis sent the ball over from the right for Buchanan at the far post but his header went wide left. Next Buchanan ran on to a long ball and cut back from the byeline for Kirk but with defenders swarming around him his shot was blocked.

With seven minutes left Carcary got his head on a cross from the left and the ball broke to the right of goal.  Gallacher came out to try and gather but Brian Fairbairn toppled over as the keeper got to the ball.  The Referee pointed to the spot in a decision softer than a Brechin bap and KING put away the penalty sending the ball into the right side of Gallacher`s net.

The Pars pushed up with McCann and Cardle threatening but then in 88 minutes King fell over Mason`s leg 22 yards out and from the free kick Carcary bent a good effort over the Pars wall and just over the crossbar.

BRECHIN CITY: Craig Nelson (David Scott HT); David McClune, Mick Dunlop, Paul McLean (Neil Janczyk 37), Scott Buist, Garry Brady, Craig Molloy (Brian Fairbairn HT), Gary Fusco, Paul McManus (Charlie King 68), Graham Weir (Michael Potter 81), David McKenna (Derek Carcary HT)
SCORER: King (83) 

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher; Trialist (Andy Dowie 51), Kevin Rutkiewicz, Alex Keddie, Austin McCann (c); Paul Willis, Martin Hardie, Gary Mason, Joe Cardle; Andy Kirk (David Graham 80), Andy Barrowman (Liam Buchanan HT)
SUBS: Nick Phinn, John Potter, Paddy Boyle, Chris Smith (GK)
SCORER: Kirk (27)

WEATHER: Drizzle 14C

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.