SFL v Queen of the South


Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division

Attendance: 2052, Kick Off: 3:00pm.

Referee: Stevie O`Reilly

Dunfermline made three changes from the side that drew at Dingwall on Tuesday night - Chris Higgins, Liam Buchanan and Steven McDougall coming in for Kevin Rutkiewicz, Pat Clarke and Ryan Thomson.  Injury hit Queen of the South were without Paul Burns, Daniel Carmichael, Allan Johnston and the suspended Stephen McKenna but hat trick hero from the previous Saturday, David Weatherston returned with 18 year old Danny Orsi starting.

The sun came out as the visitors kicked off but it was Alex Keddie who was first in serious involvement clearing the ball from the edge of his six yard box. In the second minute Gary Mason sent a free kick to the left side of the box where Martin Hardie headed towards the far post allowing Andy Kirk to dart in and head a good attempt on target that Queens keeper kept out with a spectacular save under his crossbar.

The home side won the first corner of the afternoon in eight minutes.  Willie McLaren sent that over from the left but David Lilley was forced to head the ball well wide still letting McLaren in for a shot that he drove fiercely wide left of target.  Dunfermline won a corner two minutes later but McDougall`s delivery, headed on by Hardie was mopped up by the defence.

Bob Harris was yellow carded when stopping McDougall`s progress through the middle in 14 minutes but Hardie`s attempt from the 30 yard free kick was comfortably held by Hutton. Higgins came to the Pars rescue twice in 22nd minute first blocking out Colin McMenamin as he took a lay off on the top of the box and then winning a crucial header as the ball was pumped back into the Pars box.

McDougall then launched a speedy counterattack but his cross in for Kirk was met by the head of Lilley. A Pars corner in 27 minutes was followed by another and when Graham fed the ball back to McDougall he cut in and drove a powerful attempt on target that Harris got in the way of. Then Holmes pounced on an opportunity on the edge of the Pars box but drove a good chance wide of Smith`s left upright.

Another Pars corner from the right in 32 minutes still created little danger, while at the other end a long Lilley throw in was flick backwards by Holmes and McMenamin missed the chance as the ball bounced through to Smith. Hardie was brought down four minutes later and he took responsibility for the 28 yard free kick straight in front of goal but he sent his shot into the orange kitted goalkeeper.

McDougall`s cross in 42 minutes led to a good opportunity for David Graham to hammer in a shot but birthday boy Craig Reid again blocked.  Rocco Quinn was sidelined with a hamstring injury as his side broke fast up the left.  It was heart stopping for the 250 Pars fans as Chris Smith came out in front of them to palm a chipped shot on the edge of his box and Higgins swept in behind to stop the net bound ball.

The first half ended with McDougall being crudely fouled on the corner of the Queens box. The former Airdrie United man got up to take the free kick but Buchanan headed wide.

Half Time: Queen of the South 0 Dunfermline 0

Hutton fisted away a McCann cross and a McDougall free kick from the left touchline after Lilley was shown yellow for a rough challenge on Graham still created nothing.

McDougall was back on the right to feed Calum Woods and his shot from 15 yards was blocked by Harris.  The corner on the right was followed by another from the left in 51 minutes. This time McDougall`s delivery was met by Liam BUCHANAN and the ball was bundled over the line for the Fifers to take the lead.

Four minutes later Bob HARRIS scored the own goal of the season.  Under pressure from Andy Kirk the Queens defender presumably was looking for a fellow defender sent the ball sweetly past Hutton from an angle on the right and it was 2-0.

The Pars had their tails up and the referee disrupted play with lengthy lectures to the home bench and to Weatherston and Orsi. The home side pressed to get back into the game as the match entered its final quarter.  McGuffie`s run and chip across goal was headed behind for a corner.  McLaren delivered that from the left, Smith came out and failed to take and when Weatherston turned the ball back into the six yard box it was 30 year old Colin McMENAMIN who forced the ball home.

Woods blocked a McLaren shot and the same defender robbed McGuffie as he burst into the Pars box after Holmes had got the better of Keddie. Another Lilley long throw created bedlam in the Pars box, again McGuffie and Holmes pressured the defence but the ball slipped wide left.

The Main Stand were on their feet to greet a Queens goal in 76 minutes but Holmes had sent Weatherston`s cross from the left byeline round the outside of the post.  Joe Cardle had replaced Liam Buchanan meaning McDougall went up front alongside Kirk and Graham switched to the right. Dunfermline then managed to take the sting out of the home side who had become a bit like wasps at a picnic and Hardie had a shot cut out by Harris.

David Graham produced some magic on the right flank, skinned his markers and pulled the ball back from the byeline for McDougall to thrash a shot on target but Hutton beat that away but CARDLE was perfectly placed to net number three. With just two minutes remaining that left little time for anything to change.

A good three points for Dunfermline who were worthy winners despite giving their management and fans a worrying time for 20 minutes after conceding a soft goal.

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH: David Hutton; David Lilley (c), Craig Reid, Bob Harris; Ryan McGuffie, Rocco Quinn (Ian McShane 45), Danny Orsi. Willie McLaren; Colin McMenamin, Derek Holmes, David Weatherston.
SUBS NOT USED: Roddy McKenzie, Kevin Holt, Kieran O`Hear, Ryan Smillie
YELLOW CARD: Harris (14), Lilley (48), McMenamin (57), Orsi (63),
SCORER: McMemanin (68)

DUNFERMLINE: Chris Smith; Calum Woods, Chris Higgins, Alex Keddie, Austin McCann (c); Steven McDougall, Martin Hardie, Gary Mason, David Graham; Liam Buchanan (Joe Cardle 75), Andy Kirk (Ryan Thomson 84).
SUBS NOT USED: Alex Burke, Jordan White, Kyle Allison
SCORER: Buchanan (51), Harris (og 55), Cardle (88)

WEATHER: Overcast 9C

NEXT MATCH: (home) SFL First Division v Morton
Saturday 5th March 2011, kick off 3:00pm.

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.