SFL v Queen of the South


Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division

Attendance: 2298 (approx 200 DAFC), Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Referee: Alan Muir

Greg Paterson started in preference to Greg Fleming, only the young keeper`s� second league start.� Willie Gibson returned after his one game suspension but Steven Bell was out for the same reason.� Greg Ross replaced the injured David Graham.� Queen of the South brought in striker Sean O`Connor in place of the suspended Marc McAusland, their only change from the team that faced Dundee.

The teams changed ends before Nick Phinn and Steven McDougall kicked off for the Pars attacking the goal at the empty open terraced end. Gibson struck a low effort wide of the Queens goal from a second minute free kick while Jamie Adams third minute shot at the other end went out the ground.

David Hutton was out sharp to hold on to a Joe Cardle cross in seven minutes, taking the ball off the head of the challenging Gibson.� Paterson was made to make his first save in 12 minutes when Stephen McKenna`s throw in on the right was flicked on by O`Connor and Adams shot was easily taken by the 20 year old keeper.

Andy Dowie took a no messing approach to give QOS their first corner in 14 minutes, that got dealt with and within a minute Cardle`s chip into the box earned the Pars a corner of their own.� Chris Higgins felt that he should have had another corner as his attempt to score appeared to go behind off a home player.

Cardle wizzardry on the left set him up to square for McDougall.� � The Pars striker� was unmarked and had a free shot at goal from 12 yards but Hutton dived to his right to palm the ball around his post. Gibson won another corner that Cardle delivered from the right but it was not until Cardle forced the Pars fourth corner in 26 minutes that Dunfermline troubled Queens; Dowie`s header went over off the crossbar.

In 28 minutes Paul Burns was yellow carded for simulation as Woods tackled him on the edge of the box.� Queens kept play in front of Paterson with Bob Harris lobbing in a free kick after a Dowie body check. There was little for either keeper to do but Hutton was kept in the game clutching a Cardle cross away from Gibson in 35 and then two minutes later Burns shot on the drop from 25 yards out made Paterson dive to his right to hold an on target effort.

In the final minute of the half Dunfermline should have taken the lead but Ross`s effort came back off the bar and Higgins was shocked with the opportunity from the rebound and the defence survived.� Queens quickly switched to the other end and scored from a corner in the second minute of added time. Harris` corner from the right was missed by O`Connor but Willie McLAREN was behind him to smash the ball home from 15 yards.

A cruel end to the first half for the Fifers. The home side ahead at the break with even the locals conceding it was a goal against the run of play.

Half Time: Queen of the South� 1 Dunfermline 0

Adams was yellow carded in 53 and from the resultant free kick Gibson sent in a useful ball but McDougall was held back by� McKenna and� the� Pars failed to adequately attack the ball. More free kicks came the Pars way and then a 57th minute corner was followed by a 58th and from the defended cross Phinn rifled a shot from 15 yards as Harris raced to block him out.� Unfortunately the effort screamed over the bar.�

On the hour Quinn got a chance that came into the glorious category but he blasted it well over the bar. Ross Campbell was then introduced for Greg Ross and much to the approval of the home support David Weatherston replaced Derek Holmes.� Phinn dropped back into midfield while Campbell, McDougall and Gibson pushed forward.�

The goal that� Dunfermline were looking for came at the other end however. Higgins poked the ball away from Weatherston and out for a corner on the left.� When McLaren`s light blue boot picked out Adams there was immediate danger as the ball was nodded down into the six yard box. WEATHERSTON reacted fast to whip the ball into the net for 2-0.

The Fifers tried to counter.� McDougall broke and composed himself for the shot after receiving the ball back from Campbell but he earned only a corner. That yielded nothing and neither did a quickly taken corner in 77 minutes but at least Phinn did manage a crack at goal at that one. Next minute McDougall fed Cardle the ball and he juggled it about on the edge of the box until he was able to shoot but his on target attempt was taken by Hutton diving to his right.

That was to be Cardle`s last chance for in 81 minutes he was red carded by Alan Muir for retaliation in a tackle with McKenna.� The referee continued by then taking his compliment to seven yellows and a red by booking both Quinn and Gibson.

Down to ten men and two goals down Dunfermline had little chance of recovering in the final nine minutes and despite it becoming quite heated at times the Pars went down to their first defeat in Dumfries since 1986.� Their second defeat in five days was a real disappointment to Jim McIntyre and his team who appear to be missing their strikeforce big time.

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH: David Hutton; David Lilley, Stephen McKenna, Bob Harris, Craig Reid, Rocco Quinn, Derek Holmes, Paul Burns, Jamie Adams, Willie McLaren, Sean O`Connor (Stewart Kean 77), Derek Holmes (David Weatherston 65).
SUBS NOT USED: Neil Scally, Joe Hammill, Scott Fox.
YELLOW CARD: Burns (28), Adams (53), McLaren (61), Quinn (82)
SCORER: McLaren (45+2), Weatherston (71)

DUNFERMLINE: Greg Paterson; Calum Woods, Chris Higgins, Andy Dowie, Austin McCann (c); Willie Gibson, Greg Ross (Ross Campbell 64),� Nick Phinn, Gary Mason, Joe Cardle: Steven McDougall,
SUBS NOT USED: Paul Willis, Neil McGregor, Scott Muirhead, Greg� Fleming (GK).
YELLOW CARD: McCann (66), Cardle (77), Gibson (82)
RED CARD: Cardle (81)

WEATHER: Sunny Intervals 13C

NEXT MATCH: (home) First Division v Dundee
Tuesday 30th March 2010, kick off 7.45pm�

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.