SFL v Raith Rovers


Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division One

Attendance: 6200, Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Referee: Crawford Allan

It was the Pars first visit to Starks Park since January 2000 and supporters on both sides turned out in force to ensure the derby game atmosphere was not missing.� Six points separated the teams at the start with the Rovers sitting proud in third place. Graham Bayne returned to the Pars starting eleven while Raith Rovers were unchanged from the side that defeated Partick Thistle.

Alex Burke and Andy Kirk took the kick off with the Pars attacking the goal in front of the home support.� It was the West Fifers who produced the first chance when in just 80 seconds David Graham drove through the middle to release an on target shot that McGurn turned around the post.

It was all towards McGurn for the opening four minutes and Bayne picked out Andy Kirk in the box but the international striker turned the good chance over the bar from nine yards out.� In ten minutes Calum Woods was forward to pick out Graham in the box.� The wee man twisted and turned in the box looking for an opening and despite Gibson appealing for a pass wide right the former Hamilton man managed to slip in a shot but that was blocked.

Six minutes later Kirk fed the ball out right for Willie Gibson who chose to make an opportunity for himself but failed to beat McGurn. Rovers first danger of any sort came in 18 minutes when a Robert Sloan corner from the left was headed over the crossbar by Ellis.

Raith then continued to press� and four� minutes later a Ryan Wallace run up the right was punctuated by a fine cross from which Sloan tested Fleming.� The corner kick that resulted from the keeper`s save was not properly cleared and a lifted delivery back into the box saw� Mark CAMPBELL head over the Pars keeper to open the scoring in 23 minutes.

Dunfermline huffed and puffed a bit in their attempts to get an equaliser.� They were penalised at a Gibson corner then in� 37 minutes a Woods cross gave Kirk a chance to head over the bar and almost immediately Dunfermline were back up at Raith with Woods picking out Graham on the left side of the Raith box but Bayne`s well connected header was well saved by McGurn diving low to his right.

Two chances dropped to Greg Ross but possibly he wasn`t the best option to shoot and the Raith shut out remained in tact. Corners at both ends came to nothing and Bayne had the last chance of the first half when he headed a Ross cross wide right.

Half Time: Raith Rovers 1 Dunfermline 0

The Pars had the first opportunity on the restart when in 49 minutes a Gibson free kick from the left byeline almost gave Bayne a header at goal but the ball flashed outside the far post.

Dunfermline continued to threaten with Woods four minutes later making headway up the left before crossing for Steven Bell at the back post. His drive beat the keeper but was cleared off the line by Campbell. McGregor headed the corner kick wide but there was better to come from the next after Graham`s shot was deflected behind.

It was 55th minute when the corner from the right was pumped back out to� Willie Gibson. His cross was perfect for Graham BAYNE to meet with his head and the match was back all square.� Dunfermline fought hard and play was in the Rovers half. Bayne sent over a cross that just eluded Graham 15 yards out.

Raith brought on Stephen Simmons to replace Walker and nearly caught out the Pars defence on the counterattack.� McGregor did well to stop Sloan cut the no.9 did get in a cross that Ross headed away from Tade. The home support were growing increasingly quiet but Sloan had them on their feet as the match entered its final quarter but thankfully his shot from the edge of the box sailed over the bar.

Graeme Holmes came on for Andy Kirk before Dowie headed another Gibson corner wide left. Bell accepted a poor clearance to tee up Bayne in 77 minutes but his quickly released shot was rifled well wide.

Nine minutes from the end Sloan teased the Pars defence and Dowie conceded a free kick as he failed to take the ball on the right corner of the box. Fortunately Wilson`s cross travelled straight through the six yard box on its way behind the goal. Sub Darren Smith flashed another ball through the Pars six yard area while at the other end Murray put a good block in to deny Gibson.

There was more to excite the travelling supporters in the dying minutes but Gibson and Phinn both failed to give McGurn anything to save from their good opportunities on the left side.�

Dunfermline� didn`t give up and Gibson went scurrying up the right to deliver a low ball to the near post.� David Graham� slid in at the near post with Craig WILSON and the ball broke off the defender to give the Pars a vital goal just 15 seconds from the end of the allotted 90 minutes.

Great celebration behind the goal� for� the strike� followed by a very happy vocal exit after the final whistle heralded the Pars first win in Kirkcaldy since 1997.

DUNFERMLINE: Greg Fleming; Greg Ross (Austin McCann 84), Neil McGregor, Andy Dowie, Calum Woods; Willie Gibson, Steven Bell, Alex Burke (c) (Nick Phinn,� 87), David Graham, Graham Bayne, Andy Kirk (Graeme Holmes 71)
SUBS: Steven McDougall, Greg Paterson (GK).
YELLOW CARD: Ross (45+1), Graham
SCORER: Bayne (55) Wilson o.g.(90).

RAITH ROVERS: David McGurn; Craig Wilson, Grant Murray, Laurence Ellis, Mark Campbell, Douglas Hill, Allan Walker (Stephen Simmons 63), Robert Sloan, Ryan Wallace (Darren Smith.55),, Gregory Tade (Graham Weir 74), Johnny Russell.
SUBS: Gary O`Connor (GK), Mark Ferry.
SCORER: Campbell (23)
YELLOW CARD: McGurn (55), Murray (59), Ellis (59)


NEXT MATCH (home) First Division v Partick Thistle
Saturday 14th November 2009, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.