SFL v Dundee

DUNDEE 1 DUNFERMLINE 0 Date: 03/01/09

Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division One

Attendance: 5033, Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Referee: Anthony Law

Dundee gaffer, Jocky Scott named an unchanged side from the eleven that were successful for him at Palmerston Park last Saturday. Jim McIntyre was forced into naming two changes from midweek. Kevin Harper will be out for an estimated six weeks, Greg Ross continuing in his place after replacing him in the first half of the match against Livingston. Rory Loy joined Andy Kirk upfront in the absence of Graham Bayne who was out with a stomach bug.

Andrew Shinnie and Colin McMenamin took the kick off with the home side attacking the away end where the numerically strong travelling support were in early song. First reasons for such optimism came in six minutes when a Stephen Glass free kick was flighted over from the left and defended out only as far as Ross but neither he nor Andy Kirk could get control to shoot.

Next Glass volleyed a Ross corner from the right off target and Loy made the pass that set up Nick Phinn for another shot at goal but his sights were set ┬ too high. Dundee`s first threat came in nine minutes when David O`Brien dispossessed Calum Woods but his defence closed out McMenamin before any damage could result.

In 11 minutes a square ball in from Woods on the right was struck by Glass but Rab Douglas held diving to his left. Two minutes later Ross sent over a cross that Kirk rose to head on target but yet again Douglas dealt easily with the attempt and then he held a Bell attempt that was always slipping wide of the right post.

Dundee played a dangerous offside trap at a 16th minute free kirk, the flag eventually being raised as the defence deserted the penalty box┬ for Greg Shields to head wide.┬ Eddie Malone left Bell in his wake as he burst out of defence and Woods had to make the illegal challenge that stopped him on the edge of the box. Shinnie delivered a dangerous ball to the near post that Shields deflected up and over his own bar.

A further corner award was disputed before Ross and Phinn took the pressure off their defence. Bell won a 28th minute corner that Glass sent through the penalty box after his first ball was beaten away.

Dundee had really not had much of the game this far but in 29 minutes Jim Lauchlan came close with a header from a Shinnie free kick, this time from the right. Shinnie was also presented with a chance from a poor Gallacher clearance but Phinn tracked back to put in a telling tackle.

In 36 minutes Gallacher launched a big ball down the right that Ross headed on for Kirk to sprint on to and deliver a good chance into the six yard box but a dark blue shirt was first to the ball to clear ahead of Bell. The Pars were happy to concede a corner three minutes later after a fine cut back from Freddie Daquin allowed a good cross into the Pars goalmouth.

Two minutes from the break Gallacher was called upon to save a free kick sent in from 40 yards by Paton that Craig McKeown, Chris Pozniak and Stephen Glass all challenged for just eight yards out. The Pars keeper gathered the ball on his goal line to complete his first real save of the match.

Half Time: Dundee 0 Dunfermline 0

The Dens Park side created two anxious momets at the start of the second 45. Firstly after Wilson fouled McMenamin out on the right, Paton sent over a ball that the Pars had to head away then Daquin crossed and Woods headed the ball off the head of Posniak to clear the danger. That was virtually the Canadian`s last involvement with Jocky Scott then withdrawing him in favour of Mickael Antoine-Curie.

Unfortunately it was 58th minute before the Pars support had anything to shout about.┬ A firmly struck back pass from McKeown bobbled around Douglas` ankles before he belted the ball out of the park at his right touchline just ahead of Loy as he sped in.

Glass headed away another Paton free kick before Dunfermline had one of their own after Bell was upended by O`Brien but Glass despatched that 30 yard attempt into Douglas` arms. Dundee were forcing their opponents further and further back. Bell was yellow carded for tugging Shinnie on the edge of the box.┬ PATON again took responsiblity and lifted the ball over the defensive wall to beat Gallacher to his right.

Dunfermline rallied with Glass` free kick and then a header from substitute Iain Williamson. After an overstruck Ross pass 17 year old Paul Willis replaced him for the last 16 minutes. Daquin pulled a good chance wide right as the home side reminded the Pars that they would need to defend.┬ Alex Burke then came for Phinn┬ before Kirk┬ launched a shot well over the crossbar.

As the game went into its final ten minutes McMenamin really should have had the points sewn up for Dundee.┬ He was given two bites at the cherry and somehow the Pars defence kept him out.┬ Then it was the right goalpost that denied the Dundee no.9 after Daquin had whizzed a fine low ball in from the right.

A Muirhead cross gave Dunfermline an 89th minute corner but Bell headed Glass`s cross wide right.┬ Willis almost got through on a Bell knock down and then Burke flashed a 25 yard effort over the bar. ┬ Willis won another corner on the right and then Glass another. The home support cried for the final whistle as Paul┬ Gallacher came up for the added time corner but in the end there was to be no heroic equaliser and the Pars away record, unbeaten since the opening day of the season, had gone.

Dundee remain Dunfermline`s achilles hell. Dundee have not lost to Dunfermline in the last seven meetings and from the nine points so far contested this season, the Fifers have taken only one.

DUNDEE: Rab Douglas, David Cowan, Craig McKeown, Jim Lauchlan, Eddie Malone; Freddie Daquin, Chris Pozniak (Mickael Antoine-Curie 54), Eric Paton (c), Andrew Shinnie, David O`Brien, Colin McMenamin.
SUBS: Kyle Benedictus, Paul McHale, Darren Williams, Ludovic Roy (GK).
SCORER: Paton (67)

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher, Calum Woods, Greg Shields, Scott Wilson (c), Greg Shields, Scott Muirhead, Greg Ross (Paul Willis 74), Steven Bell, Nick Phinn (Alex Burke,┬ 78), Stephen Glass, Rory Loy (Iain Williamson, 66), Andy Kirk.
SUBS: Austin McCann, Callum Reidford.
YELLOW CARD: Bell (67)

WEATHER: Bright 1┬║C

NEXT MATCH (home) Homecoming Scottish Cup v Clyde
Saturday 10th January 2009, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.