SFL v Livingston


Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division One

Attendance: 1760, Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Referee: Eddie Smith


There were three changes in the Dunfermline team from that which lost 1-0 the previous Saturday. Out were Kevin Harper, Greg Shields (injured in training on Friday) and Austin McCann to be replaced by Greg Ross, Scott Thomson and Scott Muirhead.  Livingston were unchanged from the team that drew 0-0 with Airdrie last Saturday and had a French trialist on the bench.

Livingston kicked off attacking the goal in front of the empty North Stand and won the first corner of the game in the fifth minute. Graham Bayne turned the inswinger from the left out for a corner on the right. Then the strong wind caught Joe Hamill`s delivery forcing Paul Gallacher to parry the ball off the line and James McPAKE followed up to smash the ball home from close range.

The Pars recovered with a string of good passes, gaining composure and seeing much better territitorial advantage.  A tackle by McParland on Muirhead gave the visitors a free kick on the left in 15 minutes.  Nick Phinn launched that up into the wind and keeper Roddy McKenzie rose to clutch the ball, injuring both himself and Scott Thomson in the process. Both were fit to continue.

Injury to Scott Thomson and Roddy McKenzie

Two minutes later Muirhead ran on to a good ball up the left but was rather harshly adjudged to be offside but Dunfermline grabbed the equaliser in 19 minutes. A high ball was moved on by Bayne to KIRK and the 29 year old slotted home at an angle from ten yards; his eighth Pars goal.

On the half hour, Scott Wilson`s challenge on Elloit on the corner of his box gave Livi a free kick in a dangerous position but the former Hearts man`s shot went out of the stadium, much to the amusement of the travelling support. Another corner from the right two minutes later gave Hamill an opportunity to repeat his fifth minute success but this time the ball dropped behind on to the roof of the net.

At the other end a Bayne knock down was taken by Burke and he travelled across the box preparing to shoot but Kirk took it off him and he failed to do that. Elliot was high with another Livingston shot on goal. Play continued to swing from end to end with the wind causing Gallacher possibly more problems that Livi.

Muirhead signalled to the bench that he was finished and three minutes from the break Austin McCann replaced him. The main threat to the scoreline came from two home corners in added time at the end of the half but it remained even at the interval.

Half Time: Livingston 1 Dunfermline 1

As a consequence of an ankle injury Pierre Martini replaced Roddy McKenzie at the start of the second half and he was in earlier deployment clutching a Phinn cross after Bayne had headed a ball that took him to the byeline.  McCann forced a corner on the left and Martini found it difficult to defend Phinn`s cross taking it eventually after Wilson had only managed to get a flick on the ball.

A strong challenge by Wilson on Elliott gave Livingston a 56th minute free kick,  Hamill drove that into the defensive wall but Gallacher made a fine save to push the deflection around his left hand post.  The two corners caused probems and Gall earned his worth pulling off a fine save from McParland in 58 minutes.

On the hour Stephen Glass sent the ball wide left and when the cross was returned Graham BAYNE`s looping header sneaked in off Martini`s left post.

Unfortunately the Pars joy was short lived as Livingston struck back just two minutes later. Rocco Quinn did the damage with a cute backheeler from the right that ELLIOT accepted on the goaline to make no mistake.post.

Liam Fox fired a shot wide from 25 yards as the match entered its final quarter.  Steven Bell who had replaced Calum Woods was at the end of a good move that had climaxed with a Greg Ross cross but the keeper was not to be tested. Next Phinn and Bell exchanged passes on the right side of the Livi box but Nick`s shot cleared the crossbar.

The Manager replaced Nick Phinn with 15 minutes. Bell`s header on the edge of the box that created some danger as id a Burke ball after he had bravely slid in to win possession off the Livi Trialist. Ross powered forward feeding Kirk for a fine cross and although that was defended Ross had to be blocked out by Livi as he threatened with a left foot drive on the top of the box.

The travelling fans roared on the Pars as Bell was denied with the ball stolen off his boot in front of goal. Kirk and Bayne continued to see a lot of the ball and the Pars build ups were impressive but unfortunately the home defence kept them out of shooing distance.

Time seemed to be running out for the Pars when everything changed in the final minute of the game.  Livi dithered on the edge of their box allowed possession to be slid out to KIRK on the left side of the box and he drilled home to herald much celebration.  This time the lead wasn`t to be relinquished and the match ended with Martini holding a Bayne shot.

Sweet revenge then for the Livingston win over the Pars earlier in the season. Former Par Pat Clarke scored an 85th equaliser for Clyde against St Johnstone so Dunfermline are just three points behind the league leaders.

LIVINGSTON: Roddy McKenzie (Pierre Martini HT); David Mackay, James McPake, Chris Innes, Jason Talbot; Anthony McParland, Liam Fox, Murray Davidson (Trialist 40), Calum Elliot, Rocco Quinn, Joe Hamill
SUBS: Phil Cave, Gordon Smith, Gary Miller
SCORER: McPake (5), Elliot (62)

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher; Greg Ross, Scott Thomson, Scott Wilson, Scott Muirhead (Austin McCann 42); Calum Woods (Steven Bell 64), Nick Phinn (Jim McIntyre 75), Stephen Glass, Alex Burke; Graham Bayne, Andy Kirk
SUBS: Calum Reidford, Iain Williamson.
SCORER: Kirk (19, 90), Bayne (60)
YELLOW CARD: Wilson (53)

WEATHER: Blustery, overcast 12ÂșC

NEXT MATCH: (home) SFL v Morton
Saturday 22nd November 2008, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.