Co-operative Insurance Cup v Alloa

DUNFERMLINE 1 ALLOA 0 Date: 26/08/08

Co-operative Insurance Cup Second Round

Attendance: 1326, Kick off 19.45

Referee: Steven McLean

Dunfermline`s clash with Alloa was the fifteenth meeting between the clubs in the Scottish League Cup and the 150th League Cup match to be played at East End Park.� The Pars side showed one change from Saturday - Kevin Harper coming in for Iain Williamson.� Alloa fielded ex Pars Iain Campbell and Pat Scullion.

The game had failed to take off with the opposition enjoying a fair deal of possession. They had probably been lulled into a false state of security when Andy KIRK rocketed in a 25 yard shot to hit the net in eighth minute. The striker probably heard the cry "hit it" from the Centre Stand and he certainly did giving the 22 year old visiting keeper, Raymond Jellema no chance.

Graham Bayne was close to making it� two just minutes later when Kirk whizzed the ball through the Alloa six yard box. There was another lull in proceedings until midway through the half Bayne switched the ball nicely to Harper on the right.� He drove in on goal before lashing out but narrowly wide right.

It was 24th minute before the Second Division team managed a shot of any description; sub Andy Scott pulling the ball wide of Paul Gallacher`s right hand post. Back at the east end Woods run up the right fed Harper the ball to cross from the byeline but Kirk was off target with his effort from 8 yards out.

The match was held up for treatment to Austin McCann and then Nick Phinn.� Both recovered to continue and as the rain, so characteristic of this Scottish summer, came pouring down it was McCann who delivered the next cross that troubled the Alloa defence. Unfortunately they came out on top and then were not troubled by Kirk`s 35th minute ball that travelled straight across goal.

Steven Bell replaced Stephen Glass seven minutes from the break.� Phinn fired over the bar when� a Harper free kick made its way to him from Alex Burke.� Then just on 45 Burke was pulled down on the edge of the box and Kirk`s attempt from 19 yards was deflected for a corner. The bright electronic board indicated three additional minutes as Kirk`s header came off the bar but at half time it remained just one goal between the teams.

Half time: Dunfermline 1 Alloa Athletic 0

Pat Scullion went sprawling as he challenged for a Dougie Wilson cut back but Referee McLean dismissed appeals for a spot kick. It was 55th minute before the home fans got something to excite them in the second half. Sweet interchanges from Woods and Burke set up Phinn for a drive but the ball came back off the inside of the left upright.

The Pars lost Kevin Harper in 58 minutes when he pulled up with what looked like a persisting hamstring problem.� Simon Wiles came on and he swiftly moved the ball to Phinn and on to Bayne who shot high into the McCathie Stand.

Steven Bell was clearly pushed in the back as Burke sent in a good inswinging corner from the left before Alloa had some pressure of their own. Campbell`s pass to Brown Ferguson was touched on for Wilson to hit over the bar.� Calum Woods was rather harshly yellow carded when Andy Scott ran over his sliding tackle and the free kick was spoiled when Buist got in the way of Townsley`s header.

In 71 minutes Campbell sent a 25 yard free kick over the four man wall and over the crossbar. Wiles conceded another free kick in 76 minutes, same distance out but in a more central position. This time Chris Townsley fired it on target and it took a great diving save from Gallacher to keep it out.

The Wasps may lie bottom of the Second Division with just one league point from their four matches but they were certainly testing Dunfermline in this second half.� John Grant made Gallacher stop, and then take, a well struck 30 yarder.

With five minutes remaining tempers flared after Stephen McKeown`s rough challenge on Graham Bayne.� The Alloa man was red carded and the Pars striker was shown yellow for his reaction.� Jellama pulled off a fine hold to deny Burke and then excellently closed down a Bell effort that Bayne laid in his path.

Three minutes were added at the end of the 90 but that did nothing to change the outcome.� One goal was enough and so it will be Dunfermline`s name in the hat for the next round.

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher; Calum Woods, Greg Shields (Scott Muirhead 49), Scott Wilson (c), Austin McCann; Kevin Harper (Simon Wiles 58), Nick Phinn, Stephen Glass (Steven Bell 39), Alex Burke; Andy Kirk, Graham Bayne.
SUBS: Iain Williamson, Callum Reidford
YELLOW CARD: Wilson (51), Woods (67), Bayne (85)
SCORER: Kirk (8)

ALLOA ATHLETIC: Raymond Jellema; Scott Buist, Chris Townsley, Dougie Hill, Iain Campbell; Pat Scullion (Steven McKeown 61); Dougie Wilson, John Grant, Brown Ferguson (Greig Spence 76),� Kyle MacAulay;� Jamie Stevenson (Andy Scott 16)
SUBS:� Francis Kelly,� � Connor O`Boyle (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Scott Buist (45), Hill (88)
RED CARD: McKeown (85)

WEATHER: damp 15ºC

NEXT MATCH: (home) IRN BRU First Division v Livingston
Saturday 30th August 2008, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.